Friday, January 11, 2013

Bison Chili

Mmmm, bison chili is Yummy!  This is what I made last night.

I use a recipe from Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Cookbook as a base.  Then make modifications based on what I may have in the house.

Ingredients:


    2 or 3 slices uncooked bacon, chopped.
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper cut into half inch or so dice.
    4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    2 lbs. ground bison.
    2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 16 oz chopped tomatoes, I buy the Pomi brand in the carton or use our own from the pantry.
    1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
    2 carrots cut into half inch or so dice. This adds some good texture.
    1 bunch green onions, chopped.
    1 avocado sliced or diced.


Method:


  1. In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat I cook bacon until slightly brown and some fat is rendered out.
  2. Next I add the onion and garlic to the pan and stir into the bacon. When the onions are semi-translucent I add the ground bison and cook until brown. If rendered bacon fat seems insufficient I add some coconut oil to keep meat from sticking to the pan and drying out.
  3. Next I add the spices, water, tomatoes, red bell pepper and carrots and stir well to combine. 
  4. Then  cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes to prevent sticking.
  5. I add vinegar and stir well, then simmer uncovered another 20 minutes.
Then it is ready to plate!  I garnish with chopped green onion and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment