Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Long, Obstinate, and Bloody.

A good title!

235 years ago today my 5 times Great-grandfather and his sons stood in the militia line of Natty Green's Southern Army to fire at the king's army.  I walked the ground for myself in April 2013.  You can take a walk via this C-SPAN video.  There was an anniversary reenactment last Saturday and historical events.  Cool.  The United Sates Army Center for History has a good account of the battle.

The battle is key, because the cost of the fight leads Lord Cornwallis to move North.  Eventually placing his army on a peninsula at a place named Yorktown.

"I never saw such fighting since God made me. The Americans fought like demons"
 -- Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis.

After the war some of the sons received the land bounty for service from the State of North Carolina and moved Westward and settled a place called Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment