Monday, March 23, 2015

240 Years Ago Today - Give me liberty, or give me death!

Two hundred and forty years ago today, Patrick Henry delivered his great speech to the Second Virginia Convention on the rights of the colonies. They were meeting not at the capitol Williamsburg, but farther inland in Richmond to put some distance between themselves and Lord Dunmore and his Marines.  Concluding with the declarative statement "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" It became a rallying cry of the American Revolution.

The text of the speech is available at Colonial Williamsburg's site.  Some of the information presented there is skewed with the post-modern, progressive interpretation, but you can get the gist of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment